Saturday, February 12, 2011

Faster Barefoot

We ran another 6 miles barefoot today.  Out and back from the homestead to Glens Trail and the Gorge Trail.  I know, you're saying, "how can you punish your dog like that!"  But, I'm here to tell you, she wasn't born with shoes, nor was I, and we both run better without them.  I've been analyzing my running data, and I can say with confidence, I am faster barefoot.  The data does not lie.

Not only that, I feel like a better runner when barefoot.  I know I am more aware of the ground when barefoot.  I think putting yourself in that position, when you have to think about the ground, what it's made of and how it's going to affect your feet makes you run lighter, more gentle, and how to run with conscience thought of what your footfalls are doing to you.

And, I run with less pain.  Yea, my left hip has been aggravating me lately.  It's a family thing.  Arthritis.  My sister, only 16 months my senior, will replace her hip soon.  My Dad has already done it.  Am I next?  I'm gonna' try to run away from the problem.  I don't know if I can, but I'm gonna' try.  So, has the last two months of running in mostly aqua socks corrupted my form, causing more pain, or is the pain genetically inevitable?  We'll see how the spring goes.

It was a wonderful run today.  I felt strong.  I powered up hills and sped down descents with reckless abandon.  The sun was shining.  The trail was firmly packed snow (for the most part) and the streets brought a welcome warmth to the tootsies.  Also, I began my run on an empty stomach.  I drank a chia freska before the run but had not eaten since breakfast - a good 6 hours prior.  Recent runs have left me wanting for more stamina.  But, those runs were prefaced by lunch an hour before.  Does this mean Grok knows what he's doing?  Do I understand?

Twice, after passing, I heard a kid asking his/her parent, "Mom, did you see that? He didn't have any shoes on?"  I chuckled }0)  It's not necessary to tell anyone - "I'm not normal."  What could be more perfect, a past time that projects exactly who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment